Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Santa Barbara 100 Endurance Run

July 10th-12th, 2015
Neal began his journey across the Santa Barbara Mountains at 6pm on July 10th.  We are all super proud of him!  He came in 12 place.  Got a sweet blingy belt buckle at the end!  He is AMAZING!  Here is his race report from Mid August 2015:

2015 Santa Barbra 100 Race Report - Neal Hinson
It’s been a month now, and the swelling is gone.  I can walk normal, and find my routine back to pre-race normality.  However, I still have a keen memory of the 32 hour odyssey that was the 2015 Santa Barbra 100.
It all started with the stars aligning.  My career and life are complicated.  Back in March, I knew that if I did not sign up for a 100 miler this year, it would likely have to wait another 2 years before I could dedicate the time to train.  So search I did for that perfect race.  I’m not expert at the distance, but not a rookie either.  I finished the Bear 100 back in 2012, and attempted Pinhoti back in 2013.  Pinhoti ended miserably with me getting sick, and then giving it to my crew.
I found the SB100 on accident, but the timing was perfect, and the calendar space was open so I signed up.  Then I read the fine print.  It’s a tough race YO!  26,000’+ of vertical, 90+ degree temps, trails that are well, not maintained like the perfectly groomed stuff in Auburn.  Anyway, I’d already paid, time to train.
I showed up on race day with my crew of one awesome brother in law!  I saw the celebs, Eric, Rocket, and Dean, and dreamed of what it would be like to race, dare I say compete with these guys.  With a few hours to spare before the 6 PM start, I curled up under a tree to get a few pre-race ZZZZ. 
The 6 PM start was great!  Sure enough, the rabbits took off and I didn’t see them for a while.  The first aid station was Buckhorn, roughly 5 miles in.  The trails and double track were in great shape, well-traveled, well maintained.  I was hoping this would be a general foreshadowing for the race.  The climb to Buckhorn was benign.  After the AS (aid station), the decent was pleasant and fast.  The single track was in great shape and I coasted down comfortable with the pace, and enjoying good conversations with others.  I caught up with Errol “Rocket” Jones.  I gave him a hard time for going out too fast as I ran along side.  He jibed back and told me to mind my manners around the “elders”.  Making my way into the Falls AS mile 10, I doctored up a hot spot on my heal, and was off into the night. 
The scenery thus far had been breathtaking.  The temps were pleasant with a nice breeze.  I watched the sun set against the coastal range and could not imagine wanting to be anywhere else.
Falls AS to Live Oak AS was uneventful, but coming into Live Oak, it was clear that a party was going on.  Lights on hula-hoops, neon body paint and everything in between awaited the runners as we came streaming in.  The volunteers really made it a special place and tended to our every need.  Continuing on to Red Gate the hills went up and down, all runnable, nothing spectacular. 
A bobcat eyed me as I came through the brush.  Tarantulas and scorpions waived as I traversed their part of the mountain as well.  The rest of the wild life was of the ultra-runner variety.  An Irishman kept me in good spirits as I descended to a race low, and wild man came flying down the trail in the opposite direction until we told him he was going in the wrong way.  The happiest guy in the world used his selfie stick to get a trail side picture of us as we tread toward the turnaround.  All between the hours of 10pm and 6 AM.  This was truly my habitat.
Climbing out of Red Gate AS mile 22 I knew this march toward the top of Cold Spring Saddle Mile 30 was going to be the longest stretch without aid.  I wish I would have remembered that on the way back.  The trail was in some places, an idea, more than and actual thing.  There was a place on the side of the mountain where it looked like it should be, but was either swallowed up by Mother Nature, or just faded under scree and sand.  Either way, it was a place you had to “see to appreciate”, neither of which I could do, since it was night, and I did not appreciate it.  In some places the slope was such that a wrong step or slip would easily put you sliding down the mountain 10-20 feet.  Yikes!  I passed slowly and only slipped a few times.  I already knew that I was not looking forward to coming back that way even in the daylight.  Then there was the Poison Oak.  It was to be waded through in most places.  A week after the race, the attending physician told me this was one of the worst cases he had ever witnessed.  Dang.
Arriving atop Cold Springs Saddle AS I was greeted again by the world’s greatest volunteers, fed a yummy quesadilla, handed an ice cold Red Bull.  Life was good.  I could smell the ocean, and feel the sea breeze; it was only 4000 feet down the mountain, and 10 miles away.  The decent into Montecito AS mile 37 was fantastic.  I love to run downhill, and I clicked off the miles as I enjoyed the early morning ocean views.  The Pacific was lit up with buoys and boats doing who knows what before the sun came up on a Saturday morning.  These were great miles, but I was still holding back.  I wanted to hit the turnaround feeling great, so I kept the throttle back.  Rolling into Montecito I was greeted by a father and sons team, got some hot food, and thanked them for their sacrifice.  The boys were a hoot!  The climb to Romero Camuesa was tough but enjoyable since it was still cool.  As the sun came up, I reveled in the views of the mountains and the ocean, what a perfect combo.  Mark, my brother in law met me there Mile 42 and informed me that I was in 12th place.  I didn’t care, yet, and took my time to get all I needed to make the 16 mile out and back to Lagunita Del Cielo.  This was my favorite part of the run.  Early morning, I was running a southerly ridgeline.  To the west was the vast Pacific Ocean and Santa Barbara 4000 feet below, to the east the sun was casting its illuminating hellos on the peaks and valleys of the coastal range.  It was a perfect moment in time, and I ran right through it. 
As I approached the turnaround I saw the front runners come past, they looked like they were in great shape, and not slowing.  When I reached the AS (mile 50.1) I met some of the coolest dudes that ever worked an AS.  They whipped me up a hot breakfast with beans and tortillas.  Loaded my water bottles, and sent me on my way.   Then, something interesting happened.  I saw a guy approaching me who looked just like Dean Karnazes.  Oh Snap!   It was him, I read his book, I follow him on FB, I’m a fan, he’s not supposed to be behind me!  We spoke for a second, he said the wheels came off and he was still going to power through.  I thought, of course he is, he’ll pass me at mile 70 or so.  For now however, I was ecstatic and feeling good.  I gave myself permission to race, and began to pass as I made my way back to the finish line.  Coming back into Romero Camuesa mile 58, mark told me I was in 8th place.  I knew where 7th and 6th were, so off I went on a doomed fishing expedition, trying to reel them in. 
Casting prudence aside, I cruised to Montecito when I met back up with Rocket, he was done, and I was dismayed for him.  I invited him to accompany me on a “hard walk” up to Cold Spring saddle again, and he declined with a laugh saying the only way he was leaving was via mechanized means!
As I left, I noticed this part of the trail was exposed, and it was starting to heat up.  This was the last big climb and I wanted to get it out of the way before it got too hot.  About a mile outside of Montecito I recognized my folly; I should have stayed in the AS until I was rehydrated and ready to continue.  I was a bit premature in my departure, which would have a cascading effect of my overall hydration plan. 
The climb to Cold Spring Saddle was brutal, toasty and exposed.  Every time I thought I was there, I turned a corner and saw more and more up!  Rolling into Cold Springs Saddle AS mile 70 I was moving well, but it was a façade.  I slammed a Red Bull and some other beverages, but failed to rest and hydrate for the next stretch, which was the longest stretch without aid.
The next 8 miles goes just like every other ultra-nightmare.  There I was running on the hot exposed side of the mountain, and then I ran out of water.  Next, I started to get hot, real hot.  Then, I started to walk, finally, I just laid down, right in the middle of the trail.  The wheels came off like a Greek tragedy, and he was behind me.  Little did I know I was less than a mile to the AS.  Lots of 100K’ers passed me; they were out of water too.  Finally, I cooled off enough, regained strength, and got up and walked it in to Red Gate.  There, I knew that I needed at least 30 minutes, and 2 liters of water.  I made up my mind that I would not leave, until I could pee.  Like I said, Ultra Nightmare.  On the bright side, I was now 3-4 hours off my expected pace, people I had passed hours ago went flying by Mark up ahead, letting him know that his runner was on the side of the trail.  Mark took action, he got on his mountain bike, and rode 3 miles up the trail to find me sitting at the AS trying to rehydrate.  He later told me that he thought my race was over.  It wasn’t. 
Part 2.
The walking dead run, sometimes.  When I left Red Gate, I had been sitting for an hour or so, swelling had begun, and I was as flexible as Gumby in the deep freeze.  I promised Mark that I would run again, it just might take a few minutes.  It took an hour, but I eventually fell into a shuffle.  We decided that at Live Oak AS, I needed a complete overhaul.  I would bathe in the mud hole, change shorts and shoes (after 80 miles) and re-lube.  The pain was incomprehensible as I skinny dipped in the mucky pond and exposed my massively chaffed skin to who knows what.  I was past caring though.  I now had a one track mind.  The dreams of a 27 hour finish had long subsided.  After the overhaul, I got out on the trail and ran.  Dean Karnazes showed up at the AS right as I was leaving and was the perfect motivation to start running as fast as I could.  I was not going to get passed again.
As the night set in, I was running scared to the finish.  I did not want to get passed, and fear was on my side.  The trails from this point on were in great shape, and I was kicking myself for not taking better care of my body.  I should have been cruising here, but everything was a struggle.  I passed through Arroyo Burro, and finally met up with Mark at the Falls AS.  He had agreed to run…well walk now the last 10 miles with me.  From Falls AS to Buckhorn it was 5 miles.  Mostly uphill, but good trails that were easy to navigate.  The last 28 hours had taken their toll on me, and for the first time, I had some pretty interesting hallucinations.  Nothing extraordinary, but one stump turned into a golden retriever looking bear that waived at me as I went by.  Water on a road crossing took a three dimensional form that left me confused as to which way to go.  I was in rough shape, and fell silent and Mark and I pressed to the finish.  Reaching Buckhorn, I sat for a bit, and enjoyed some food as I prepped for the final 5 miles.  The old saying that 95% complete, 100% to go rang true.  The toughest 5 miles of my life were next, and they were on smooth downhill gradients.  As we made our way off the mountain, Mark asked, if someone came up behind you, would you start running?  I said NO!  I’d let them pass.  5 minutes later, we got a glimpse of a headlamp from behind, and I started to run.  With about a mile to go, we took off, and Mark laughed at me.  I embraced the pain and overall humor of the situation as blistered feet, chafed body parts, sleep deprived brain, and everything else crossed the finish.  I found the first chair, and sat down, knowing my fate was the same as the Petrified Forest.  The Race Director shook my hand, gave me a nice blanket and a turkey burger and pronounced me done…pretty sure he meant “well done” since the meat was falling off the bone. 
Our plan was to pitch a tent and sleep it off in the camp site, then drive home in the morning.  Problem was, no shower, and I needed to get clean.  A couple of gals took pity on my plight, and snuck me and Mark into their campground where there were public showers.  After that, it’s a blurr.  We ended up parked on the side of the mountain sleeping in the back of the truck.  When the sun came up we were in paradise found overlooking the city and the ocean.  I was indeed petrified as I set the world land speed record for the slowest walk to the bushes for a good morning relief.

I was a hot mess.  Swollen legs beyond recognition, poison oak everywhere, and skin so chafed it started to scab up, but I did it.  And I felt amazing!




The Crew: Mark provided amazing support!! 





Look at that swag!!

No comments: