My mind drifts, wanders, thinking about who-knows-what while I am enjoying the warmth of the spring sun; and somewhere in my mind I hear Simon going into the house. I call out to him, barely hearing myself, "Simon, take your shoes off please", while faintly hearing him close the backdoor behind him. I hang out in my own little thoughts for a few more moments, and then I hear the bus that brings Justin home, pull up to the front of my house. I mosey into the house, slowly...
...and then a little quicker as a little thought occurs to me and my heart starts beating faster and I feel my head getting hotter;
I realize...
...that Simon is nowhere.
The front door is closed, but unlocked, and I open it and look outside...seeing nothing and no one. I call out to him, no answer. I run to the bus; frantically asking the bus driver "Did you see a little blonde boy running down the street?".
Half hearing her answer, I start running, sprinting down the street and turn the corner, hoping and praying I see him, as I have done at least 3 times before.
And there is my beautiful little Houdini, running as fast as he can to the next corner, towards freedom and danger. Sweating now, I continue sprinting towards him, and grab him. Put him on my hip and walk briskly back to the bus where the nice lady is keeping Justin. Thankfully, my magician is safe for another day...until next time...
...what am I going to do??

9 comments:
In a way, I almost envy you, Kristin. My little Scott (who's just about Simon's age) is such a Mama's boy and never leaves my side. He hates babysitters, nursery, and rarely plays with anything unless I'm right there with him. I always ask myself the same question--what am I going to do with this kid?
I am glad, though, that Simon is safe and sound!
SIMON!!!!!!!!!!! You should put little jingle bells on his shoes. That's what I did with Matthew when I was a nanny. He got a kick out of it and it was nice b/c I could hear him wherever he went, especially when we went out in public or outside. What a crazy kid!
so i've seen these cute lil shoes that they actually make with sqeakers in them! they are hilarious! i will ask my friend where she got them... they can get annoying but at least you will always hear where your kid is haha
btw-- i LOVE your background!!
How scary! I would have been crying! I am so glad you found him, and that he was safe!
He sounds like my Isaac!
When Isaac was four I left him in our gated backyard playing in the sandbox. I went inside and started washing the dishes. It was 20 minutes or so I was cleaning, washing, and sweeping. Isaac would usually just play outside while I was cleaning up. But this time, when I was almost done, there was a knock at the FRONT door then the doorbell rang. I took my time answering the door because I was gearing myself up to shoo away a salesperson...so I thought. I opened the door and to my surprise...it was Isaac! He was excited to show me how he got in the FRONT yard!
He stepped on the water spout that comes out the side of the house, pulled himself up to the ledge of the window, leaned over and stepped onto the ledge of the fence and leaped over jumping off the 8 foot fence down into the front yard.
He said he was playing at the end of the street at the stop sign and at the other end of the street at the other stop sign...for a long time he said. My heart stopped!
I still sweat when I am outdoors with Isaac. He climbs trees and everything else, and women freak out...I have to tell the moms that it's o.k. and I just watch him like a hawk. Boys are something else... although Maile is not much different... :) arrrggggh!
I'm sorry. I'm sure every parent knows that feeling. I know i do. It makes you want to lock up your kids in the house and never let them out into this crazy scary world. I'm such a paranoid mom anyway.
My little Kennedy is the same way! I was in the kitchen this morning, and had Maleah in her bebe pod chair on the counter. I heard "Winnie the Pooh" still on in the family room. I then went upastairs to vacuum, came back down to the kitchen and started doing dishes (still hearing WTP). The doorbell rings, and a neighbor that lives about 10 house down the street is there with Kennedy. "She camd to play, but I didn't think you knew she was coming." Kennedy says, "Hi mom! I go play at Addison's!" My heart skipped a few, but glad for a neighbor who brought her back. I think I'm in the same boat as you!
When you figure out what to do, let me know!!!
Post a Comment