Saturday March 31st, 2012
Justin's Baptism Day went off without a hitch and turned out to be an amazing day. Not that I expected a "hitch". Knowing Justin and some of his challenges, I wanted to do everything I could to prepare him and talk him through the morning, so that his expectations were met, and he was content and could really enjoy his special day. He was more than content. He was happy. So happy. His best friends from his street were even there. Several of our neighbors attended, as well as many friends from church. Justin's grandparents (Nan and Papa, Neal's parents) came in town a few days before. Unfortunately, Mema and Grandpa (my parents) were not able to make it due to an unexpected hospital visit for my mom. Poor thing was sick as a dog all weekend, and we know she would have much rather been sitting in that room with the rest of us, feeling the amazing spirit that was present on that memorable day. The first half of the Baptism was combined with a few other kiddos from the stake, and the Stake leaders led the meeting and spoke. Then we split up and each of the children and their families and friends took a turn filing into the baptismal font area for their baptism. The second half of the meeting was a little more initmate, with just friends from our ward, family, and neighbors in the room. As Justin came back into the room after getting his dry clothes on, he looked around and saw all his friends. He grinned his cute little half smile, and turned around and sat down. Millie and I sang a duet of "Jesus Once was a little Child", then a wonderful talk was given by our ward Mission Leader. In the middle of the talk, the faint sound of a baby crying could be heard from the back of the room. Justin just couldn't contain himself and had to go say hi to baby Alexandra and her family, our next door neighbors, who were sitting in the very back. He hopped up, ran to the back, said hi to all his friends and then came back and sat back down. After the talk, Justin and Sol were each confirmed. Justin sat still and quiet and a warmth filled the room during the blessing. He smiled and smiled. The highlight for Justin may have been the Candy Poster/Letter he received from the Primary, or maybe when he got a second giant Candy Card from the Sanders. But tonight during family night, we talked briefly about Justin's baptism day and I asked him what he remember from his baptism day. And he said "My dad said 'Justin Robert Hinson' and then I went into the water." I asked him how he felt when he got baptized. He said "I felt good, I felt happy." I am so proud of my sweet boy who is growing up quickly. We are so thankful for our Justin!
Our neighbor Christy Card (Justin's friend Zachary's mom) made Justin a beautiful Baptism cake, which made the day extra special! A Big Shout Out to Christy for the beautiful perfect cake that was delicious!!










3 comments:
Kristin, I am so happy that Justin knew it was such a special day for him. He was happy and could feel the spirit. I just know he could. He is a special young man in so many ways and even though I missed it. I will always treasure his "letter" that he sent to me and his way of expressing himself so clearly. I know without a doubt that he loves me and I love him back. Thank you for this awesome post! Love, MOM
So glad it was such a special day for Justin and I can just picture him with that handsome grin across his face! I know it was a happy day for him . Just wish we were there too :( Miss you guys so much!!
Oh how I adore this boy! There was such a tangible, beautiful feeling in the room that day. I'll always remember it.
Post a Comment