Monday, April 16, 2012

The Mountain I said I would NEVER CLIMB

March 17, 2012
Washington D.C. Rock 'n' Roll Marathon 2012

Ok it wasn't exactly a mountain.  Let's back up a little bit.  2004ish...sometime when Justin was a baby.  We lived in Valdosta Georgia, we bought a used Trek Double Bike Trailer/Jogging Stroller, and my running career began.  I conquered 2 miles and then made it to 3 and felt like a real running rockstar.  I ran a few 5Ks. My first was a memorable one.  I can remember being so excited, I actually called my brother Eric to tell him about my 30:03 time (something painfully slow like that).  I did get faster, but I never felt the urge to surpass my 3.1 Mile limit.  Then we moved to Nor Cal.  I usually kept it at 3 but on occasion would go 5 or 6 miles, but not regularly.  Really I did it just once or twice before I got pregnant with Simon. After Simon came, and I recovered for a few months (probably more like a year) I finally got back into it, barely made it to 6 miles again, and I actually ran a 10K, right when I got pregnant with Noah.  I always thought...maybe a half marathon someday. But I had NO DESIRE to ever run a marathon.  Why would I put myself through something so horrible, so long.
  
Last fall 2011, I ran my first half marathon.  I surprised myself at how I could hold a decent pace for such a distance.  I loved the energy, the amazing high I felt after the race had ended.  I needed another challenge.  Of course, I was really intending to sign up for another half marathon.  Neal was not as content as I was with my lack of vision.  He convinced my marathon-seasoned friend Amy (she now has 11 marathons under her belt) that she needed to talk me into a marathon.  After weighing my options as to how long I could put off a marathon in my future of running, I couldn't pass up the challenge or the opportunity to train with Amy. And I am so glad I didn't pass it up!  We had an amazing time training together, and had some incredible runs.  My personal favorite was our longest run, just 3 weeks before our race.  23 miles from Vienna to the Washington D.C. Temple in Maryland.  We ran on paved trails the whole way there, and Neal and Simon were there to greet us and drive us home.  The weather was crazy, some strange 15 minute windy flurry blizzard hit just as we were crossing over the Key Bridge.  The rest of the run, the wind was at our backs.  It was so rewarding to see the temple spires, as we got about 1 mile from our destination.  We kicked it into high gear as we ran up the hill to the temple gates, and it felt amazing!  

3 weeks later, I found myself at the starting line of the DC Marathon, feeling nervous but incredibly pumped and surprisingly prepared for this crazy long distance I never thought I would attempt.  Neal joined us at the race, and actually ran the half, he snagged a bib from a friend in our ward who had dropped out due to injury.  So Neal, and Amy and I hopped on the packed Metro at 6am on March 17th and rode downtown with thousands of other runners.  The race itself was good.  It was hot, and there were unexpected hills, but it was good.  None of us were prepared for the 75+ degree heat for the last hour or two of the marathon.  We had trained through the winter, so our bodies were used to an average temperature of 30 degrees.  Amy and I stuck together for the first half, but we separated around mile 14 or 15 as I began to inch forward, hoping she could kick the sour stomach that had began to set in.  I was nervous to be alone, since we had trained hard together.  I went into my head and started jamming to my tunes.  Neal came and found me around mile 19, snapped a few photos and passed over some positive energy.  It was so good to see him out there!! I hit a wall around mile 22 with just 4ish miles to go.  Had to really push myself to keep running, and slowed down quite a bit.  The hills kept coming too, which did not help at all.  And the heat, that felt so hot because I wasn't acclimated.  I crossed the finish line at 3:54, 6 minutes under my goal of breaking 4 hours.  Even though my GPS read 26.75 miles, the feeling of accomplishment set in.  Its crazy, I actually did it!  Everyone said I would get addicted and I assured them that this would be it, once is enough.  I am eating my words...







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome and Dad and I are so proud of you! I still can't believe you ran the Marathon at that pace. Neal is training you to be a running machine and think it is getting into you blood! You did great, you look great and I know you feel great! That's my girl!!
love, MOM

Kari said...

You seriously ROCK!! I wish I had that drive and competitive edge! oh and that natural running ability...because I know I will never run a marathon! My legs and feet won't let me :) miss running with you!! Love you!!