Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Halloween 2012

In years past, the idea of coming up with one, two, three or FOUR Halloween costumes has always been at the bottom of the 300th page of the list of my favorite things to do.  I am not creative and I despise spending lots of money on costumes.  When I was growing up we always had a magical dress-up box that contained everything we needed for a a creative homemade costume.  I am not sure where the box or its contents came from. And somehow from this box, along with my mother's sewing machine, my mom managed to create masterpiece costumes for all of us every year, all seven of us.  And never once did I wear a Princess Leia costume from Party City or a Wonder Woman costume from Walmart.  The closest thing to store bought was when I got too old for trick-or-treating but insisted on going anyway, and wore a matching "baby" costume with my 13 year old girl friend.  Needless to say my children are deprived of the creativity that I was fortunate enough to enjoy as a child.  They don't seem to mind, at all.  BUT, a Blast from the Past did make it's way to my doorstep in a box sent directly from Mema's house in Houston.  How it all started: Millie came to me with a request that actually surprised me a little.  I should have known that Halloween costumes will always come full circle.  She wanted to be a 50's girl with her friends, and wear a POODLE SKIRT!  My mom quickly reminded me that she had an old poodle skirt that Grandma made, that my sisters and I all wore at least on one occasion.  She popped it in the mail quickly, and she was even more excited (or maybe nostalgic) than I was to have Millie wear it!  Of course Millie was adorable!  

Justin, luckily, was perfectly content to wear his Chuck Yeager Pilot costume we got him for his class project last year.  Simon borrowed a Darth Vader costume, and he was SO in his element!  He LOVED being the Evil Villain.  Noah would have worn anything, he was just happy to dressup.  Kelli sent me a costume she received from a neighbor, that was just too hot for Houston.  It was perfect for our cool weather and Noah was the CUTEST DRAGON EVER!  The kids got to wear their costumes several times:  To School, to the neighborhood party across the street, to the Ward Trunk-or-Treat and again on Halloween night.  Good times and plenty of loot was had by all!













This was taken at Noah's preschool Halloween parade.   Noah is great with the ladies in his class.  Reagan likes to take care of Noah!

We went to a fun neighborhood party across the street, and there was a professional face-painter there.  She was fabulous!

Cool dragon face dude!

A few of Millie's friends dressed up as 50s girls and went trick-or-treating together!  They had a blast and looked adorable!



1 comment:

Kari said...

Seriously can't get over how big those kids are getting!! I LOVE their costumes and how fitting they are for each of them and their personalities :) Noah is the cutest little dragon EVER and I miss kissing those cheeks of his I can hardly stand it!! Millie is growing up so much and I love that she wore that poodle skirt that we ALL wore!!! haha! Can't wait to trick or treat together again someday!!!