Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Love Christmas

This Christmas is a special one for me and my family.

And it feels special.

I think I took for granted how much I love my little family, and being together during the holidays.

We had a lonely Christmas last year without Neal, and although my parents were here to help us enjoy Christmas a little bit more, it just was not the same. Besides trying my best to teach my children about the importance of the birth of our Savior, and why Christmas is a very special holiday amidst the toys and presents they received, it seemed like an ordinary day.

Neal is in the air somewhere over the Atlantic as we speak, and should be landing in the States within a few hours. As long as his flight is on time, I will be picking him up at the airport just before midnight tonight. For some reason, I have been bitter about the fact that he missed all the decorating, baking, parties, shopping and wrapping. But somewhere deep inside I have discovered just how incredibly thrilled I am to be a complete family for Christmas this year! I don't know if I have ever been so anxious for Neal to get home! This year more than ever, I Love Christmas! I love the smells of cinnamon and cloves and fresh baked everything. I love decorating my tree with my kids, and my house. I love hearing from friends family from across the miles, and catching up with their kiddos and their lives. I love the giddy excitement of my children and how much they love to sing Christmas carols and to watch Mr. Kreuger's Christmas. Like any deployment, it has been hard to be apart, to be a single mom holding down the fort and trying my best to make sure the Spirit is in our home. But there has been a constant big beautiful light at the end of this tunnel, knowing we would be together for Christmas has made this time much different.

I included all the fun of December in this post:

Simple Decorations: I added a few things to my tree this year. Someday I will get a bit more creative, when I have time. I always wanted garland up my stair banister. A little at a time.





Our Ward Party: I almost skipped it this year because I just could not imagine myself handling three kids with no husband and actually managing to enjoy myself somehow. My good friends, the Hargadons, convinced me to go and they took good care of me and my kids. And as it turns out, Mark didn't make it home in time, so Kari went with three kids as well. Needless to say, the Hargadon's had their work cut out for them! They are the greatest for helping us both out so much!


I realized as I was pulling up to the church that I forgot Simon's blanket. Of course before we even finished eating, Simon was upset and really needed his blankie. So my good friend Janna discretely slipped off her slip and said "Here, try this". And wouldn't you know it, he was lovin the silky slip, it did the trick! Only a real friend would do that!

Millie's School Performance: The Big Chill
The show was great and Millie was a fantastic little star!
She had a little trouble finding us at the end, so there were a few tears.



Merry Christmas Everyone!

6 comments:

the browns said...

Kristin I love this post. Your family is so cute and I am so happy you will all be together this year. Besides the birth of our Savior, Family is what this time of year is all about. Thanks for the reminder and sharing photos of your sweet children! Merry Christmas!

Sheila said...

I loved this post Kristin, you bring all the emotions right to surface for me everytime I read stuff like this from you. I look up to you so much, you have no idea. I don't have a big sister of my own, so I have to claim others and you are one that I will always think of. What a strength you are to your family and to everyone who knows you. WELCOME HOME NEIL!! We've missed you and are so happy that you are home safe and sound!!

Adam and Sariah said...

How great that Neal is making it home for Christmas! We are having a different kind of holiday season as you can imagine. But, when I heard that the A-10's in GA are deployed for the holidays, it brought it all into perspective. Family is the most important thing...you got that right. I'm so glad that you have people there who love you and love your kids and are there when you need them. Everytime I read a post I realize why we got along so well in GA. We are a lot alike...and when I heard the Amy Grant sond on your playlist I had to smile. That is one of my favorite Christmas songs! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. We hope to get an email out with an updated family picture soon. Take care and tell Neal welcome home from us!

misha said...

You are the best Mom ever!!! I am glad Neil gets to be there this year with you guys. I know how important that is. This is our first year without Craig and we are feeling it. Hope you guys have a great Christmas.

Sending you hugs from across the States.

Izzy said...

We are so happy you get to spend Christmas together. We are thankful to your little family for your service. You are all so special!

You sure are a great example of a super-mom to me. I don't think you give yourself enough credit either. You are an amazing woman!

Have a Merry, Merry Christmas and have fun eating,singing,snuggling, laughing and being together!

Ismari and Steve

Shaun and Kelli said...

what a fun season! I'm glad to hear that Neal is home and safe. The pictures are so cute. I think Simon and the slip is a hilarious story. You will have to write that one down! Have a Merry Christmas!