Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Snow Day

The day after Christmas, we decided to take a day and go see the snow. Somehow last year, we never made it up the hill an hour to see the snow and to play (probably because Neal was deployed for most of the winter). To be totally honest, I have not been sledding since I was five (or younger), and my kids have never done it. After the pain of gathering snow gear that we did not own, and making sure everyone would be comfortable, we headed up I-50 towards South Lake Tahoe, hoping to find snow sometime before chains and four-wheel drive was required. We were successful and had a great time, just north of Camino. The weather was perfect, not too cold, and there was fresh powdery snow! The only difficult part was Simon, he hated being bundled up and was mad from the moment we got there. He spent the entire time strapped in his car-seat watching Finding Nemo. Millie and Justin had so much fun, we tried to take them back up to more snow last weekend and did not have near as pleasant an experience. I guess it had been too warm and it hadn't snowed in a while. This time we went up I-80, and found a place just off the freeway at a gas station. The snow was hard as a rock and we just ended up sliding down the ice-hills on our bottoms. Luckily we were smart enough to leave Simon home for that trip. Hopefully we can see fresh snow again before the winter ends.















(That's me in the bright yellow garbage bag! Don't I look attractive?)

6 comments:

The Addams Family said...

That looks like a TON of fun. I love the action shot of Neal and Justin!

Loren said...

Looks like blast. I am dying to take our kiddos but seems like I can't keep everyone well at the same time and then BAM...it is tax season and i would be taking them by myself - not an undertaking that sounds too appealing.

You guys look so cute in your snow gear and Neil looks like he and the kids are having the time of their life.

Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous pictures. What a priceless treasure. Looks like you guys had a blast.

p.s. you can make a garbage bag look pretty darn cute. :)

Shaun and Kelli said...

AWWWW I wish I was in the last picture. Looks like a lot of fun. I also liked the action shot of Neal and Justin with the snow spraying. Pretty cool effects with your awesome camera Kristin.

Rodna and Fred said...

Love the pictures. Moldova doesn't have that much snow! Those grandkids are sure cute. Give them a big hug for Nana and Papa

April said...

Looks like so much fun! Hopefully we get some fresh powder soon!

I can't wait to hear about your TX trip!! :)

Tell Neal Happy b-day for us!