Monday, January 26, 2015

A Successful Soccer Season : Friendship and Comraderie

Simon and Justin both played soccer this year.  Each of the boys have their challenges when it comes to following rules, paying attention, and being a good teammate/friend.  This season was pivotal for Simon and for Justin.  Each took away valuable lessons, better skills, as well as new friendships!

This was Simon's 3rd season, and he played goalie a lot of this season.  Simon is a pretty aggressive soccer player, although we are still working on the paying attention part.  He loved soccer, got along with his teammates, and had a great season!  He can't wait to play next season!

Justin was blessed to be part of the Earthquakes team.  A friend of our family was his coach, and there were several players on Justin's team from church, including his cousin Zach.  This was Justin's first season, and I am not going to lie, I was skeptical and apprehensive about his participation.  I was not sure how this was going to go.  Justin was adamant that he was going to play soccer this year.  To say it was a successful season for Justin would be an understatement.  I don't mean that Justin is going to be the next Ronaldo.  I will say he conquered fears, he followed the rules, he played every game and went to every practice and handled himself beautifully.  He even played in the freezing cold rain, he insisted, just for a couple minutes. (Justin hates being rained on).  Most importantly, Justin had friends, teammates who rallied around him, and taught him what it is to be part of team and to work together.  They all cheered him on when he would "attack" the ball, and would quietly "high five" him afterwards.  He loved team cheers, going to practice, and putting his soccer uniform on Saturday mornings.  His teammates voted him "MVP" and his coach presented him with a beautiful trophy that he was emotional about receiving (as was I, and I may have seen a few others wiping tears).  He couldn't believe that they would pick him.  As a mother, I do not expect special treatment for my son.  I do appreciate kindness and acceptance. This team went above and beyond to show their love and acceptance for Justin.  This was a winning team, and they never ever gave Justin a hard time; they expressed to him in more ways than one Justin was a valuable asset to their success as a team, he played a part, and felt part of something great!   A heartfelt thank you to his entire team, parents and coach!  I know I will never forget, and I am pretty sure Justin won't either.













Justin wears his sweatshirt more than once a week, and so do his teammates that he goes to school with! 

















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congrats Justin! What an fantastic honor to be MVP for his first soccer season. I was teary just reading it. I could see the emotion in his face that you captured in the photos...and all the friends on his team and how much they truly love Justin. Great memories and life lessons! WTG Justin!! Hugs!