Monday, January 12, 2015

First Day of School Miracle

When we moved back to Lincoln, we knew we had a battle to fight with the schools.  Lincoln Crossing Elementary School has been overcrowded for years, and any children who move to the area get placed on a mile long waiting list and get sent to as sister school.  Since my kids had been previous LCES students, I assumed we would not have to go through that process.  I was very wrong.  When I registered Justin and Simon last May, to my dismay, they were both placed on waiting lists and assigned to Creekside Oaks Elementary School.  This was completely unacceptable to me, so Neal and I made phone calls and prepared to fight.  I had several conversations with the district superintendent, explaining our situation, including the fact that Military orders had forced us to leave our home in Lincoln in the first place.  He was not at all helpful, so we went a step further. With the help of the base liaisons (a couple of very nice ladies who advocate for children like mine), we went before the school board to present our case.   Neal put on his uniform, and with the support of his commander (sitting in the audience, also in uniform), Neal gave a very persuasive 5 minute speech.  The board was receptive and a new rule was instated to ensure that siblings of children in families who go to LCES, who move because of Military Orders, and then return will automatically be able to go to LCES upon their return.  Our kids started school with their cousins and neighbors at their home school, and it has been a great year so far!

Did I mention I have an 8th grader this year?  YIKES!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

So so cute and growing up FAST! Hugs to all!!